A council has decided to abolish apostrophes on its street signs because staff spend too much time dealing with punctuation complaints. Some people are up in arms, saying it’s “dumbing down” and “linguistic anarchy”.
- Read the article.
- Make a list of all the reasons you think apostrophes SHOULD be removed.
- Make a list of all the reasons you think apostrophes SHOULD NOT be removed.
- Write a balanced report to Bradford Council which explains:
- Your reasons for removing apostrophes from street signs.
- Your reasons against removing apostrophes for street signs.
- Your final evaluation and recommendation about apostrophes.
- Post your report on this blog. You should include
- A title.
- A picture